User name: English_Language
Phonetics and Phonology
- International Phonetic Association
Phonetics information and resources (e.g. downloadable IPA charts and sound files).
- Online IPA Charts
Charts that demonstrate the sounds of the International Phonetic Alphabet, and diphthongs in General American and British (RP) English. The best site of its type. Also available here.
- Handbook of the International Phonetic Association
Aside from documentation about the International Phonetic Association and its Alphabet, you can download sound files of utterances in a wide range of languages.
- Easily confused phonetic symbols
John Wells' list of common errors when using the International Phonetic Alphabet. Note that to view all the symbols on this page you'll need to have Lucida Sans Unicode font installed on your computer (install from here), and that it may not display properly if you're using an Apple Mac.
Anatomy and Articulation
- The Principal Organs of Articulation
- Anatomy of the Vocal Tract
- Manner and Place of Articulation
- Tutorial on the basics of voicing
Whole phonetics courses
- A Course in Phonetics, Peter Ladefoged
- Vowels and Consonants, Peter Ladefoged
- The Online Phonetics Course, University of Lausanne (English version)
- Course materials by Fred Cummins, Northwestern U, 1998
General Links in Pragmatics
- Kepa K. & Perry, J. (2006). Pragmatics. Retrieved November 7, 2012, from The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pragmatics/.
- This website offers an overview of both classical pragmatics and contemporary pragmatic theory as well as a wide range of definitions and a word list.
- Liu S. What is Pragmatics. November 7, 2012, from
- Bach, K. (2003). Speech Acts and Pragmatics. Retrieved November 7, 2012, from Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy: http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~kbach/Spch.Prag.htm.
- Bach, K. Speech Acts. Retrieved November 7, 2012, from Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy: http://online.sfsu.edu/~kbach/spchacts.html.
- Bach, K. Performatives. Retrieved November 7, 2012, from Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy: http://online.sfsu.edu/~kbach/perform.html.
Other Useful Websites
- Bach, K. (2002). Semantic, Pragmatic. Retrieved November 7, 2012, from http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~kbach/SPD.htm.
- Tatsuki, D. (2003). Pragmatics in the Teaching/Learning of Language and Culture. Retrieved November 7, 2012, from The Language Teacher.