Geoffrey Leech (*1936)
- Modern Linguistics
- Corpus compilation and annotation,
- Corpus-based study of english grammar,
- Stylistics (the study of language and its context)
- Corpus linguistics, style in fiction
Geoffrey Leech was Professor of Linguistics and Modern English Language at Lancaster University from 1974 to 2002. He then became Research Professor in English Linguistics. Leech has been Emeritus Professor in the Department of Linguistics and English Language, Lancaster University, since 2002. Click here for Geoffrey Leech's detailed CV.
- Leech, G. & Short, M. (2007). Style in Fiction: A Linguistic Introduction to English Fictional Prose (2nd ed.). London: Longman.
- Leech, G. & Svartvik, J. (2006). One Tongue, Many Voices. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Leech, G. (2006). A Glossary of English Grammar. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Leech, G. (2005). Meaning and the English Verb (3rd ed.). London: Longman.
- Leech, G. & Svartvik, J. (2003). A Communicative Grammar of English(3rd ed.). London: Longman.
- Biber, D., Conrad, S. and Leech, G.(2002). Longman Student Grammar of Spoken and Written English. Harlow: Longman.
- Leech, G., Rayson, P. and Wilson, A. (2001). Word Frequencies in Written and Spoken English: based on the British National Corpus. London: Longman.
- Biber, D., Johansson, S. , Conrad S., Finegan, E. and Leech, G. (1999). Longman Grammar of Spoken and Written English. London: Longman.
- Garside, R., Leech, G. and McEnery, T. (Eds.) (1997). Corpus Annotation: Linguistic Information from Computer Text Corpora. London: Longman.
- Leech, G., Myers, G. and Thomas, J. (Eds.) (1995). Spoken English on Computer: Transcription, Mark-up and Application. London: Longman Group UK.
- Leech, G. (1989). An A-Z of English Grammar and Usage. London: Longman.
- Greenbaum, S., Leech, G., Quirk, R., Svartvik, J. (1985). A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language. London: Longman.
- Leech, G. (1983). Principles of Pragmatics. London: Longman.
- Leech, G. (1973). A Linguistic Guide to English Poetry. London: Longman.
- Leech, G. (1972). English in Advertising: A Linguistic Study of Advertising in Great Britain (3rd ed.). London: Longman.
- Politeness: Is there and East-West Divide? Talk presented by Geoffrey Leech at Lancaster on Wednesday 6 December 2006 at 4pm, at Lancaster University.
- An Interview with Geoffrey Leech. Santiago de Compostela, June 9, 2006.
- English Grammar in Conversation. Conference Paper, 1998.